Life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of little things, in which smiles and kindnesses and small obligations, given habitually, are what win and preserve the heart, and secure comfort.

Sir Humphry Davy

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Love this Poem.... "A Dog's Life"

A Dog's Life

by Daniel Groves

A stay of execution: one last day,
your day, old Everydog, then, as they say,
or as we say (a new trick to avoid
finalities implicit in destroyed),
you have to be put down, orput to sleep—
the very dog who, once, would fight to keep
from putting down, despite our shouts, a shoe
until he gnawed it to the sole, and who
would sit up, through our sleepless nights, to bark
away some menace looming in the dark.

Can you pick up the sense of all this talk?
Or do you still just listen for a walk,
or else, the ultimate reward, a car?—
My God, tomorrow's ride . . . Well, here we are,
right now. You stare at me and wag your tail.
I stare back, dog-like, big and dumb. Words fail.
No more commands, ignore my monologue,
go wander off. Good dog. You're a good dog.
And you could never master, anyway,
the execution, as it were, of Stay

I am very fond of animals especially dogs so I found this poem very interesting... In many ways it makes me think of my old dog Benji... :)

2 comments:

  1. I told mom that I almost went to the pet store and brought home a new dog yesterday! Dad would've freaked out on me! haha But, then I would be back off to school, and you guys would have a new puppy. :) I can't wait until this summer, so we can get a new Airdale! I wonder what we will name him... Mom came up with Benji last time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knoww i knoww! I can't even imagine getting another airdale though... i just hope im not disappointed because benji was like thee best dog of all time... i especially missed him today... watching lord of the rings i just kept looking over there expecting him to be there and he wasnt.. im just glad we kept his pillow... its deffinately going in my room! :)

    ReplyDelete